Dealing in 3D
Practical strategies for dealing with disaffection, disengagement and disruption in the classroom
Reasons for attending this programme:
Why do I have to do this? This is stupid. I have to be here. What’s the point? Can we go now?
Do you hear these all too often? Do you dread the extension of compulsory education to 18 because there will be even more students in college who don’t seem to want to be there and are disaffected and disengaged? Are you tired of low level disruption?
This course provides practical strategies to inspire and transform your students from the unwilling to the engaged, from sullen to smiling!
What is this training about?
Despite many government initiatives to engage with young people turned off by teaching and learning, colleges still find themselves challenged by the 3Ds. Much research has been done into the causes of disaffection but understanding why does not necessarily give you the tools of how to respond positively.
This practical course will provide strategies, behaviours and systems to bring young people back on board. Drawing on a broad base of action research, practical applications and advanced communication techniques it provides you with a toolkit of opportunities to prevent, intervene, and engage your students.
During this programme you learn:
- How to set up a lesson and presuppose success and engagement
- To establish for the student’s ‘what’s in it for them’
- To create an atmosphere of co-operation and empowerment using rules, guidelines and consequences
- To make early interventions to prevent disruption
- To use your non-verbal communication to greater effect and save your voice!
- To use your language in powerful ways to gain commitment
- How to avoid the pitfalls leading to escalation and more disengagement
- Calmer and happier lessons for students and teachers
- More time and energy devoted to learning
- Reduction in staff stress and disciplinary processes
- Increased motivation and an increase in productive study
Duration: 6 hours
Fees on application
Mulberry Lawn, Quay Lane, Brading, Isle of Wight PO36 0AT
Reg in England 3959853 VAT No 757 594 085